Thursday, November 22, 2007

Friday after Thanksgiving

To send today's card: Cute Lion Cub

Quote for the Day:


If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

Nora Roberts





Okay, I have to share this site with you... because it is just way, way too funny. and I hope no one gets scandalized - because this person is just so real..... and I love it. It is called Crazy Aunt Purl . http://crazyauntpurl.com/

It is about this lady who at age 35, after being married for nine years, her husband decides he needs to live a more creative life.. and leaves. She starts blogging... a private blog.. just as sort of self help therapy. But she is so funny. I think you will love her - and her book... which sounds a bit too much.. is called "Drunk, Divorced & Covered in Cat Hair."

But I really didn't find anything about her being like "really" drunk... just how she coped with stuff.... and now she is a best selling author with up to 36,000 people visiting her blog on a good day! Anyway.... its full of knitting (that's where the Aunt Purl) comes in... and she lives with her four cats... which is where the "Cat Hair" comes in... and as far as the "Drunk" part - far as I could see she was just sitting at a table drinking a beer or something.... and making a face. So.. she obviously overstates things.. but makes for fun reading...

Do read her very first entry here so you can get a better understanding of it. http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2005/01/index.php

I wrote the above yesterday... which is a good thing.. because after a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner - my brain is fuzzy. But I do like that Crazy Aunt Purl site.... I like how she blogs... just on and on about this and than and then pictures of cats. Fun.

Often times when I write I have this voice that keeps whispering all these little warnings.. "You shouldn't write about things like that!" "You are a nun for heaven's sake - people will be scandalized." Bosh. Isn't that just such a downer.. trying to live up to other people's expectations of who or what a person should be... nun or otherwise? I mean every single nun I have met is as different as every single person I have met.. and yet we all (including me) have these preformed judgments of just what a nun should do and a mother should do and you should do.....

Terribly binding don't you think?

Blessings of Peace and All Good!
Sr. Patricia and all the Sisters

2 comments:

Michael said...

Hello Sr Pat,

The fact that you are willing to share these kinds of experiences is something that keeps me looking forward to your daily messages. Something about connecting with the "sinners and publicans" (everday people?!?) comes to mind. For me itkeeps the Good News fresh and real. Keep it up. Deacon Mike

Anonymous said...

Sister Pat,

As you suggested, I checked out Crazy Aunt Purl, and you were right....she sounds like a woman who really likes to keep it real!She reminds me of another woman I greatly admire-Paula Deen. Her language is a little colorful in her book, but she's totally honest about the struggles she's had, and the mistakes and victories she's had along the way! As for you, I thought the same thing about you as soon as I read your blog! One of the things I admire about you is that you're not afraid to show that even priests and religous have faults and flaws like the rest of us, and they're not up in the clouds somewhere beyond our reach! I don't know about the rest of your readers, but that gives me hope that even with all my faults, flaws and fears even I can be holy! I remember Mother Angelica saying one time that we are all cracked pots, ( based on one of St Paul's epistles but I forget the reference)and the cracks let the light shine through. Don't ever stop being real! If you did wouldn't you be missing one of the main points of your calling?? Besides, with honesty in such short supply these days, we need more people who are willing to keep it real!