Monday, October 29, 2007

Mom - Hospital - Home Again

To send today's card: All Hallow's Eve Cards


Quote for the Day:

One must see God in everyone.
St. Catherine Laboure





Friday night I fixed the JoyNotes for Saturday and talked about having my mom over for dinner and how well she was doing. Remember that?

Well.... it all changed. On Saturday morning at 6:30 (right during prayer) I got a phone call from the place where she was staying at the assisted living center. My mom had fallen and was on her way to the hospital. So that is where I have been.. day and night since Saturday morning. Finally at about 11:00 am today she was well enough to come home. Boy were we both glad!



She didn't hurt herself much from the fall - but she had other complications - her heart was not in sync - in afib or whatever they call that. Okay, I am not a medical person - anyway they needed to get that under control along with n a UTI (Urinary tract infection). I didn't want to leave her by herself because it is so hard to stay oriented for a person without dementia in the hospital ... and totally - totally impossible for a person with dementia.

So actually... the two of us together did not do too badly. When they found out I was going to be staying overnight with my mom.. they gave us a private room (may God bless them) and a cot for me to sleep next to her... (God bless them a hundred fold). I will admit the cot was not as comfortable as my bed... since many other people of different sizes and shapes had also slept on this cot.. but it was still a huge blessing!

I enjoyed being able to spend lots of time with my mom. I also (truth to tell) enjoyed being away from all my deadlines and pressures of everything else. I mean what else could I do? Mom's always and forever come before everything else you know.

I have decided though... that hospitals have a sort of cruel streak about them. A sort of treatment that is not at all good for healing. They use the same methods of brain washing and mind control that are used in torture places. Meaning .. that they wake one up whenever one falls asleep... they poke them with sharp needles,.... they ask them questions under bright lights when one has been in complete darkness...and you know just the typical torture stuff.

No wonder older people get confused. Hell-o?

But other than the standard official hospital (torture) procedures... the nurses and doctors and aides were absolutely wonderful. And everyone was as nice and friendly as could be. My mom came through wonderfully. Yes, she was a bit more confused than if this had not happened.. but I know a lot less than it could have been. I thank God as well for the understanding of my sisters to let me be with her during this time. Let's hear it for community!

And, another blessing. I got lots of time to read and pray and think about how to make this next new book on prayer the best it can be. One of the things I have decided is to have some contests to get stories. Just for fun.. but to give a sort of framework for different story ideas to give you (if you want to) some new points of reference for remembering some prayer experiences.

I will have more details tomorrow.. but the first contest theme is this.

Did you use prayer in finding a good job for yourself or someone else that had a remarkable result?

So start thinking and I will put up the contest page - rules and prizes tomorrow!

Blessings of Peace, Joy and all Good,
Sister Patricia

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sister Patricia:

Thank you for today's blog. My Mother-In-Law who is 88 has been in the hospital for 3 weeks now and hopefully will go to rehabilitation soon. I go to the hospital everyday and keep her spirits up. The hospital & staff have been excellent and I am very happy. God works in wonderful ways.