Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween - Contest Opens

To send today's card: All Hallow's Eve Card


Quote for the Day:

The saints have always been the source and origin of renewal in the most difficult moments in the Church's history.
Pope John Paul II





trick or treat in the cloister Trick or treat is a bit different here in the monastery. I think its a bit shall we say on the scary side? You see our monastery at night is tall and dark and rather spooky... we do have a couple of pumpkins in the window to show that we are "Halloween Friendly" but its still rather spooky. And that's before you even come inside!

If you are small kid and you do get enough nerve to come inside... than you are in a small reception area.. and what the heck is that thing? There is a door bell by it so most of them (accompanied by a parent) do ring the doorbell... and then "The Turn" goes into action. The turn is like a lazy susan in which one side is grilled and the sisters look out from that and the other side is open so that things can be put into in.... food, whatever and then "turned" around so that the sisters can remove it without going outside the cloister.

Pretty amazing huh? Not sure how many monasteries have the old turn like this... but we do - mostly because it works so well and why change what works? Maybe lots of monasteries still do, I have no idea because I don't go around to monasteries... would be kind of fun I think. I am sure they still have a lot of "turns" in Europe still.

Sister Colleen read recently that the "turn" actually was started as a way to save babies. It seems a lot of babies were being abandoned and no one would find them until it was too late. So monasteries had "turns" built into their front halls so that anyone who could not take care of their baby could annoymously put the baby into it, ring the doorbell and disappear before anyone discovered them. The baby then was taken care of - instead of being abandoned.

I've been here 25 years and no babies yet. Rats. When I was young I would go walking in the woods and stuff looking for abandoned babies. Never found one. Guess that is a good thing. Today the turn is being used mostly for Candy! Happy Halloween.

trick



The Contest is Officially Open! I spent most of the day getting the contest page (and sub pages) up and working. I hope at least they are working. Haven't had time to check them all out.. but I think they are. I may have more prizes to add in days to come.. but so far check out what we have!

Submit a Prayer Story Contest.

Please help me to spread the word about the contest. I would appreciate all the "push" anyone can offer!

Blessings of Peace, Joy and all Good,
Sister Patricia

P.S. A few people were confused because I said yesterday that November 1 was "All Souls Day" when I should have said, "All Saint's Day. Sorry. Brain drain again. Does seem to be happening a lot does't it? Hmmmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our cloistered Carmelite nuns in St. Agatha, Canada have a "Turn" or Lazy Susan as you call it.