Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Feast of St. Francis - New Blog of Diet Tips for Elder Care

To send today's card: Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi

More Cards of Saint Francis


Quote for the Day:

“Blessed is the servant who loves his brother
as much when he is sick and useless
as when he is well
and an be of service to him.
And blessed is he who loves his brother
as well when he is afar off
as when he is by his side,
and who would say nothing
behind his back he might not,
in love, say before his face.”.
St Francis of Assisi


Thursday,

The Feast of Saint Francis.

Well today (October 3) was a fast day.... a day of fasting for Peace in the world and an end to war. I think the war went on inside me - I don't fast well. I get grumpy. We have such a loooong way to go to getting holy. It's just definitely not going to happen for me with fasting. Just the thought of it makes me want to eat. Sigh.

Maybe if I did it more often. I probably should... but I probably won't. I'm probably a pretty sappy Poor Clare.. but that's the way it is. We will just have to make up for it in other ways... or just rely more on God's mercy!

Onto new things!

My sister Barb has started a blog after much encouragement from me. I'm her older sister by one year.... so I know how to encourage! Anyway I think it will be a wonderful site. The blog is about helping people provide good nutrition for the elderly. Barb was head of the nutrition department at Welsley Center in New York - which was rated the highest in health care at the time she was there. It was a large facility for assisted living and other care.

One of my favorite stories that Barb shared with me was about one of her patients who was 104 years old! Every day when Barb would come into his room, he would roll his eyes, grin and say, "Oh, there she comes again, trying to get me to eat!" Barb said all that he wanted to eat was cocoa. So she kept trying to encourage him to eat more... then one day... a light bulb went off inside her head and she exclaimed to herself!

"What am I doing? He's 104 on Cocoa. Let him be!"

Anyway - I think if you do work with anyone who is elderly or know someone who does I am sure you will get lots of good tips from Barb's blog. Truthfully she is a much funnier writer than me - even when it comes to food! Also tips for people with special care needs like diabetes, etc.

Barb's Blog It's called ... Elder Care Diet Tips....... http://bgdiet.com

It's only just a work in progress... still in the baby steps...with only three posts.. ( and not everything works) but I wanted to share it with you now so you can grow along with her as it gets better and better. Do leave a comment or two - she may not be able to get back to you (her schedule is worse than mine) but she would love to hear your comments and ideas how to make it even better and what tips you might like for her to cover.

Oh,,,, and by the way.... HAPPY FEAST OF SAINT FRANCIS! Let's celebrate with Food!

Blessings of Peace and All Good,
Sister Patricia and all the Sisters



The Confession Connection

Preparing for Confession:
Taking Your Spiritual Temperature

by Fr. Thomas M Casey.


Day Six:

Some family History on Reconciliation

Some strict Christians like Tertullian (who lived about 160-230 in the Christian era) taught that some sins like murder and adultery could not be forgiven by the Church, but his views were not accepted by the majority of the community.

Tertullian did not prevail, but the early Church nonetheless required a severe penance of a public nature when a Christian confessed, usually to the bishop. This penance might take as long as two years to fulfill, after which time the sinner was reconciled to the community. As you might guess, few persons were willing to undergo the embarrassment of having everyone know that they had done something so serious that they were not allowed to take part in worship. They often had to stand outside the church in rags to symbolize their sinful condition.

to be continued


A selected article from "101 Inspirational Stories of the Sacrament of Reconciliation."


No comments: