Thursday, September 20, 2007

Feast of Saint Matthew the Apostle

To send today's card: Feast of Saint Matthew the Apostle



Quote for the Day:

Reading the Bible without meditat ing on it is like trying to eat without swallowing.
Anonymous


Friday,

Happy and Glorious Feast of Saint Matthew. I once read something to the effect that the Apostles in heaven are like great mountains of holiness compared to all the other saints. Not sure if that is true, but I do know that until I read that quote I didn't place that much "greatness" onto the apostles.

It's like I just sort of accepted them as you know... the first followers of Jesus. Yeah, great... but.... somehow when I read that it just painted a complete different picture for me and gave me a greater understanding. Then it also started to make sense of some of the scripture readings.. especially in Revelation where they talk about the 12 gates and the 12 tribes.. and it all started building up a much bigger image of the "great holiness" of these first twelve apostles.

Then of course, being the lowly, miserly sort who always has some need or other, I thought, "Aha! I should pray more to these apostles since they are so holy and powerful!"

I'm always looking for an edge to have greater efficacy in my prayers. And the easiest way is to latch on someone whose got a definite edge on stuff. I really think we don't ask enough from the saints and apostles... really.... I mean I bet there are a whole lot more of then just the "little flower" who are spending their time in heaven doing good on the earth!

Which of course leads me to remind you that the first day of the Novena to Saint Therese of Lisieux starts on Saturday! I will send you a simple Peace Card on Saturday and Sunday so you don't forget to join in!

Blessings of Peace and All Good,
Sister Patricia and all the Sisters

1 comment:

Edward W. Moul said...

Dear Sister Pat: I would like to comment on your Joy Notes message of today, 9/21/07 regarding the saints. I have had cancer and, was out of work for many months. I have prayed to and carried a relic from St. Peregrine and my lymphoma cancer has never returned in three+ years. While out of work, I prayed to St. Joseph as a last resort, and within a few days I received not only one, but two good job offers. I also pray to St. Pio and St. Fancis, all at the end of the day. I suppose my prayers and requests are answered regularly, although not as I might expect or wish. I am certain that the saints hear the prayers constantly and intercede for me and any others I may pray for at the time. I suppose that when my time on this earth is over, I will find out a lot of things, especially from these saints. It might also be a bit uncomfortable facing these great men and women
considering all that has happened during this life and my responses to each situation, but at least you will hear the truth
straight from the source and that will be from the saints and Christ. I converted to Catholicism from Methodism years ago and I told our parish priest that that decision was the most important one of my life. I am sure the saints listened very carefully.
Your website is an inspiration always and I wish you all the very best now and in the future. God Bless you all, always.
Sincerely, Edward W. Moul