Thursday, March 01, 2007

A Gift we give ourselves

Quote for the Day:

The only way to peace is forgiveness
Pope John Paul


Tonight instead of the news we watched Oprah! It was really good and we all enjoyed it. It was about different stories of people who have moved on past hard things that happened to them. I got one very beautiful quote from it that I really love.

"Forgiveness is something that we give ourselves." Isn't that beautiful? Though I think perhaps I would take it a step beyond that... Forgiveness is something that God offers to us - and He also offers us the gift to be able to forgive. I don't think it is something that we can do on our own. Because forgiving someone is really bigger than we are.. we first have to let God's gift of forgiveness dwell in our heart - and then we can forgive someone else.

And that is when in giving to another we are gifting ourselves. Because the minute we can forgive.... we find peace.

A few days ago I read in a lenten meditation about a priest who was trying to help a woman who was very bitter after her divorce.... she was not yet at a point where she could forgive her husband. Her anger against the divorce was destroying her. Not the divorce, not her husband.. but the anger that she fed like a hungry fire in a forest. She could not forgive and the priest said her whole face was contorted in an ugly passion of hatred. Isn't that so sad?

I can see moments when I have done that to myself as well. Forgiveness is truly something that we give ourselves. In order to love and move forward... we gift ourselves with forgiveness. The gift that God commands us to give. The command that is necessary to do if we want to receive His Forgiveness.

And maybe the first person to gift with this gift of forgiveness .... is ourselves.

Blessings of Peace and All Good,
Sister Patricia and all the Sisters

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Had to get to work early today and had time to read today's Joy Notes this morning (in the UK). How many of us have had OUR faces contorted because of anger, or just the inability to forgive. Amen to all you say ....... I have found it works for me.
Judy - Brighton - UK

Anonymous said...

Forgiveness is the bottom line ...
This would be a great topic for your next book..."101 Stories of Forgiveness"

It is the basis of our own forgiveness before God...so this is ultimately something we need to get right....and Life gives us lots of opportunities to practice it...

Please consider this for a book.

Anonymous said...

This is just what I needed to read as I have experienced the unforgiving spirit in myself. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Sister Patricia,

You are a God send to do more work for him. I can't thank you enough for you spiritual thoughs and your prayers. May the good Lord keep your strenght and good health to continue your blessed work. Good reading anytime specially doring trying imes.

Nimfa - Texas - USA

Anonymous said...

Awww Patricia,
We really could use a tutorial on folding underwear, lol.
Have a Wonderful Day my friend.
May God Bless & Take Care of you.

Anonymous said...

Judy Marie says----I looked several hours for a lost library book and was about to give up. Of course I prayed to St. Anthony and the angels but I had lost hope. I peeked one more time under my bed and saw a book open---I did not see this before. I checked the title and sure enough , it was the lost book, which I never even started to read! This incidence was a miracle to me! The saints are always with us!

wirthy417 said...

Yesterday was Reconciliation Day at our Church and , thanks to your
Joy Notes, I felt empowered to attend. Gone is the doom and gloom of the past "confessional" days. Now we are met with Gods' Mercy and Love, and the 9 priests there for the occasion surely were filled with the kindness of the Risen Lord.It was a wonderful Joy filled time for all who attended.
Bless you.
Norma Wirth Coffin..Melbourne, Fl.