Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Your Worst Enemy May Help You to Succeed

Quote for the Day:

He who angers you conquers you.
Elizabeth Kenny


Okay here is the follow-up with the hook -

"Your Worst Enemy May Help You to Succeed."


When it comes to making a good confession we need to start first with a good examination of conscience. What did I do wrong? Where could I have done better?

Many times we have huge blinders on when it comes to looking at ourselves honestly. Our friends are not much better because they don't want to hurt our feelings. But if we are so lucky as to have someone in our life that we have problems with.... chances are .... when we rub them the wrong way they won't have any problem at all telling us just where we need to shape up!

Viola! Look no further. Quick write it down and once your "rage" calms down at the complete unjustness of their statement or statements ask yourself .... "Is there an element of truth in what they said?"

The Cure of Ars had many friends. People loved him but there was one person who worked with him that was constantly a thorn in his side. He had nothing good to say about the Cure and tried to stop whatever he was doing at every opportunity. Someone once asked the Cure with exasperation, "Why keep the man on?" The Cure calmly replied, "I have to keep him here, he is the only one who is not afraid to tell me the truth!"

If I am really serious about improving myself - than my so called "enemies" can provide me with insights about myself that I might not otherwise face. The real judge of whether the person who tells me off or not is hitting the mark is—How do I react! Do I feel my temperature rising? Do I find all sorts of hot headed comments ready to spew forth back at them? If so, I need to examine why I am so angry?

If what they are doing is causing so much interior discomfort - how come? Do I have some insecurities that I need to deal with? Am I doing anything to trigger their respone? Am I totally without blame in this uprising? Is my focus on God here or self?

In truth what the person actually says to me may not reveal the truth I need to deal with as much as my response does. Am I capable of Road Rage over tiny matters? If so what is going on in my life making me so volatile? What changes do I need to make so that I have a calmer and more accepting reaction?

This is my theory in doing the Workbook on Confession. I use the Ten Commandments in a very unique way. Questions are asked that deal with people I live with, people I have difficulty with, people I may be neglecting such as members of my family or co-workers. It asks questions about my walk with God and even questions about how I am taking care of myself. Questions that I can relate to..in my home, my workplace, my prayer time, and it helps me to recognize that difficult people in my life are God's gift for my spiritual growth. The questions help me to move beyond angry reactions to peaceful acceptance. It really works. At least for me and many others who have been so kind as to send me their amazing results as well.

The person who is causing the most conflict in my life... is there to bring me closer to God. Somehow, someway. If I can accept this - I can move forward in ways that I never would advance with just loving friends and helpful supporters. God really does know what He is about! Nothing is left to chance. My Enemy may often be the help I need to succeed in my walk with God.

Blessings of Peace and All Good,
Sister Patricia and all the Sisters

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your toughest enemies are your own
inner-mes.
Get it?

Anonymous said...

Dear Sr Patricia,

As a member of Al-Anon I can relate to what you say. When I get irritated at others it is usual my defect of character that is being reflected through the other person. I use your confession workbook as a checklist and to remind myself when I need to make amends for my behavior. To bring me closer to the God of my understanding.

Stacie V

Unknown said...

this is an excellent "Hook"

MaryAgnesLamb said...

This is just what I needed to hear today; as I have been struggling with a very difficult close relationship in my life. Thank you, sister!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sr. Patricia,
The reason I got your book on Reconciliation is because I hate to go to confession. So I bought two: One for myself and one for the priest that I went to confess to before my last surgery. I figure that may be, he'll find something in there to help other people like me. I also bought it for him as a thankyou cause I believe that if I had not gone to see him, I wouldn't be alive today.

Anonymous said...

As I was reading Danielle's post today on offering things up for Lent and how it's very "normal" or common for Catholics, I thought of how we can also just "give up" or offer to go to Confession during Lent. If we can offer it up as a sacrifice, perhaps it will be easier to consider it and this might be a "hook" for the promotion of the book during Lent. I know that some people I know would be open to going to Confession as a Lenten offering, simply because it's Lent. For those who have the most difficulty, it will be a most loving and generous gift to God. Don't know. What do you think?

God bless...Dora