Sunday, July 22, 2007

Miraculous Monday - A Confession of Hidden Sin

To send this card: Have a Nice Day

Quote for the Day:
There is no sinner in the world, however much at enmity with God, who cannot recover God's grace by recourse to Mary, and by asking her assistance.
St. Bridget of Sweden


Miraculous Monday

Today after dinner as we were doing the dishes we got to talking about what we would like to do or see in heaven. Of course we haven't a clue what heaven will be really like, but that didn't stop us from faithful imaginations. Anyway we were discussing how exciting it would be to view the life stories of different people... and since there are so many billions of them.. that ought to keep us occupied for a good long while.

Because each and every one of us has a beautiful faith journey. I know each one of us is a beautiful chapter in God's book of how salvation is played out so uniquely and beautifully. It occurred to me now, that it is probably only in heaven that we will see where the real miracles in our life occurred. What we take as a normal day - with quiet ordinary things happening.. and who knows what tragedies our angels might have diverted from us that we never knew about? Who knows what opportunities came to us by the way of prayers we prayed long ago or someone else prayed for us?

I remember reading some big events in history - where the fate of millions hung in the balance and except for a few key people in top positions who knew how perilous the situation was - the rest of mankind just went blithely on its way without a clue. Amazing huh?

I mean we don't even know how many huge comets were quietly redirected from collision that could have wiped us out yesterday.

Basically God does have the whole world in his hands - and the final showing of salvation will leave us speechless.

Blessings of Peace and All Good,
Sister Patricia


The Confession Connection

O Happy Fault: A Confession of Hidden Sin

by Vinny Flynn

I have a confession to make. A real confession. Of real sin. I have a great sin that has lain hidden in me for a long time, unrecognized, unconfessed, unrepented.

It's not your common, everyday brand of sin—not included in the usual list: pride, greed, jealousy, immorality, drunkenness, stealing, etc. These are easier to recognize, easier to fight against. This sin is different. It's like a traitor within me, lying in wait to jump out and trip me up, over and over again.

It has become like a cancer, living and growing inside me, dragging me down, away from God, and dragging others with me. So I need to expose it, to confess it publicly to all who will listen. And I'm not afraid to confess it to you, because you have sinned in the same way.

The sin is this: I have been unhappy! Repeatedly—at the slightest provocation—unhappy!

(to be continued tomorrow)

From one of twelve articles on confession found in the book, "101 Inspirational Stories of the Sacrament of Reconciliation."


4 comments:

Barb said...

As a read Miraculous Monday it reminded me of a song. Have you ever heard "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me? It is my very favorite song. "I can only imagine what it will be like when I walk by your side......" Hope you have an opportunity to hear it.

Anonymous said...

I love to just imagine what Heaven would be like. I always picture my Mom having tea with all kinds of people and thoroughly enjoying herself!

Anonymous said...

Sr. Pat, your observations about "ordinary days" and how we don't know what goes on beneath the surface in our everyday lives is so wise. Really gives food for thought.

I, too, often imagine what heaven will be like, and how we will get to meet so many different people, including those we admired that we never got to meet on earth, either during our own era or past ones.

I once read in a book that everyone's soul will be visible in the next world, and we will see the beauty of each person's soul and know what they accomplished during their lives on earth. Beautiful thought, and something to keep us going when we feel discouraged and think our little efforts are in vain!

steaseton said...

Hi Sister Pat,

I was playing catch up with my email as I often do, and your comments about Miraculous Monday made me think of an incident that happened a couple weeks ago. My husband and I were returning from a typical day of errands, when a car cut him off in traffic, and sped past us, barely missing seriously sideswiping my side of the car. It occurred to us how our angels must've protected us, and how often they must do so without our knowledge!