Sunday, June 24, 2007

Miracle of the Waterfall - Mini Retreat

To send this card: Hope

Quote for the Day:

No one is to be called an enemy, all are your benefactors, and no one does you harm. You have no enemy except yourselves.
St. Francis of Assisi


Miracle Monday.

Well, I had a miracle over the weekend - but its already sort of fizzled to its premiracle state. Wonder how much that counts?

This is what happened. Our fish pond has a small waterfall. The problem is the water doesn't fall it dribbles. So we have had various people come out and work over it and all to no avail. Just dribbles.. sometimes bigger dribbles and sometimes drop, drop, drop dribbles.

So I got fed up with the stupid dribbling water and decided to concentrate some prayer, time and energy on the situation. I prayed a rosary, I prayed a ton of Hail Mary's and I figgled and fiddled with the valves and the pumps and the nozzles and everything I could think of short of kicking it which believe me I was very, very tempted to do.

Finally I got mad. I started chewing out God a lot. I explained that it was a fine thing for me to be expected to be praying for serious things like people with cancer and wars and and job losses and all sorts of serious big things when He couldn't even fix a stupid waterfall. Okay, so I get a bit demanding in my prayer life now and then but like I said I was mad.

So finally after awhile I cooled down and told God, "Okay, if you don't want to help with the stupid waterfall... fine... we're still friends.... I don't have a lot of hope in this situation and just a little in other stuff... but you must have a reason so okay... that's fine. Whatever.

I went back to praying more Hail Mary's and figgling and fiddling with the valves. Finally.. a glimmer of hope. I got both little pipes to send out a little stream of water. Not big mind you but I had not been able to get both pipes to work before so I was hopeful this was a breakthrough.

It was time for evening prayer so I stopped. We prayed evening prayer in the garden about a hundred feet from the waterfall I mean water dribble. About a third of the way through I thought I heard a little more water coming down.. but I didn't look up. Probably not I figured. Just imagination. Then I heard more and more water. I looked up. All the other sisters were looking too. The water was coming down much better.

All through the rest of the prayer the waterfall (it was by golly starting to look like a real waterfall) kept increasing and increasing till finally it was a full fledge roaring, tumbling splashing waterfall! Just like it was supposed to.

A miracle. Really. And what was really funny was that God had to have it break through during prayer time so I could see He really was listening to my prayers, impatient as they were.

It was great. I was feeling very happy. I always feel very happy when things go my way.

This morning it was back to the dribbles. Sigh. BUT..... at least I know that if I keep praying and figgling and fiddling with those valves I may get it back. Because now I know it really is possible.... and I also know a lot more about how to make this thing work than I did before. Which is good. I just wish I could get it to last.

More miracles please.

Blessings of Peace and all Good,
Sister Patricia



Mini Retreat Theme: Walking with Jesus in the Ordinary

Quote:

Meditation: (set your timer for ten minutes)
A new shop has opened. It's called The Miracle Shop. It's very nice - you go in and there is a clerk behind the counter and you ask for whatever miracle you want and the clerk looks through the catalog and lo and behold... the very miracle you want is available. Not only that it is free with immediate delivery.

So you order it. I mean after all it does't get much better than that does it?

So you go back the next day and order another miracle. Same thing. Pretty soon you just start expecting those miracles to always be there. On time, free and immediate delivery.

Then one day - you go in and the regular clerk isn't there anymore. Everything has been changed. It's all self service now.... you sit down and go through the catalog yourself.

Lots of miracles available but oh my,..... now they are not free and the delivery is uncertain and the price is really, really high. Even for the little ones. And worse of all there is no one to talk about it with at all. Just an empty room with those stupid catalogs.

So you leave and go back to your garden. You find your favorite place and you wait for Jesus to come - because you want to talk to him about the closing down of this miracle shop. It's been a long time since you came to your garden... because for some reason you've just been going to that little miracle shop and not spending any time here at all.

Hmmm..... maybe that is what was wrong?



Prayer when time is completed:

Jesus,
thank you for answering my prayers
but most of all
thank you for being there
for me
every day,
always and forever
whenever I need you.
Amen.

No comments: