Thursday, June 28, 2007

Friendship Friday and a Dog Car Lesson

To send this card: Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul

Quote for the Day:

Be ready always to satisfy everyone that asketh you a reason of that hope which is in you.
St. Peter


Friendship Friday.

Today (I'm writing this on Thursday) was a perfect friendship day because my sister Euli called in the morning and said, "We're in Washington can we come to see you today?" So I said, "Yes, of course" and the rest of the day was busy and fun, fun!

First it was busy because I had to clean off the patio so we could have lunch out there... you always need company to get you to do the stuff you mean to do but just can't seem to get to. Even in the monastery! So did that and then Euli and her husband and kids and dog came and my mom and my brother John and we had a wonderful, wonderful time.

Oh, and Shelley had a car lesson! You see our dog Shelley thinks that the only way you can get into a car to go for a ride is if someone physically picks you up and puts you in the car. I don't know exactly how this got started but a 70 pound dog with this kind of complex is not fun. She just panics at the very thought. So I knew what she needed. She needed to see how "normal" dogs get into cars. You know - like just jump in.

So one of the first things I asked Euli when she came with (Chester) her dog... was, "Hey, can we give Shelley a car lesson?" She said, sure! Shelley and Chester always get along well when they come to visit so this was totally perfect. And it worked! Shelley had three lessons of getting in the car by following Chester who probably thought she was nuts that she was taking so long in the first place. With her final lesson Euli took Shelley, Chester and all three kids (because of course they wanted to go) for a two block ride.

They had a great time... and Sadie about half way through the ride said to Shelley, "Oh! That is why you are sitting so close to me! I'm sitting on your tail!"

Actually Shelley just loves to stick like glue to anyone who will let her. She is a 70 pound lap dog.

Blessings of Peace and all Good,
Sister Patricia



Mini Retreat Theme: A Time for Miracles

Quote:

Meditation: (set your timer for ten minutes)
Sometimes it is fun to pray for a fun miracle for someone else. We all know those who need miracles of healing and reconciliation and truly serious things and I do pray for those intentions..
but sometimes I like to pray for "FUN" miracles. Something that will just make someone happy and know how much they are loved by God.

Sometimes - it is nice to pray for this miracle for an unknown person. Someone who just needs a miracle. Someone you may never see, know or meet until heaven... but God takes our prayers and does wonderful things for that unknown friend.

Today, ask God to surround someone who needs special love with a Joy Miracle. Imagine your prayer thoughts lifting up to heaven and sending blessings down on this special person. Who knows maybe God will even let you know who this person is in some way.

Prayer when time is completed:

Jesus,
I ask you to bless
with love, joy
and miracles
someone who is most in need
of your love today.
Amen.

2 comments:

Bibi Barberi said...

Today was a prefectly horrible day for me! I am a registered nurse that does private duty in children's private homes. Normally, these children are small, but today I started with a 17 year old boy who was distracted while driving and drove his grandpa's Lincoln Towncar off a bridge. He almost died and the car did. He is home from the hospital now and still needs a little help. He has some residual brain damage and orthopedic problems, but with help and a lot of therapy he will probably be fine. He is a true miracle. God definitely has a plan for him! But, as to why it was a horrible day, well, here it is. I was in this boy's home and internally, I was critizing their home and the family. The only good thing that I could say about them (inside my head) was that God made them and loves them as much as me. Saying that and believing it with your soul is easy, but acting on that and getting over yourself being soooooo wonderful is REALLY hard. Because I am not so wonderful. Jesus said that no matter what good you do, if you don't have love in your heart, you are doomed; or words to the effect. How do I get over my pride and selfishness?

Your mediation for today was a wonderful love message from God. Thank you. I immediately prayed for some other person who really needs it, to receive joy like I did.

You don't know me and will probably never meet me, but, thank you for your prayers. Because, I really needed to feel God's love for me. I enjoy reading your Joy Notes every day. They help to keep me going. God bless you and your other sisters.

Another thing about your Joy Notes that I like is the fact that you write about everyday stuff that you deal with. God bless your fountain! Also, you write about your frustrations, failures and everything simply human. Are you sure you are a religious?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sister Pat,

Today I was playing catch up with your JoyNotes, and again it struck me how timely your topic is! I've found that this is often how God chooses to work in my life when he wants to confirm somthing or to get my attention. I was comforted in the knowledge and had a good laugh, over the fact that you are challenged getting ready for company even in a monastary! I made plans yesterday to meet with a young friend of mine who is selling Avon in my group, only to take stock and realize how much my house needed a good scrubbing! So as often happens, I made a mad dash throgh the house yesterday, well into last night trying to get things done! I've often found that's how it is with my prayer life too! I get so distracted trying to keep up with the every day, that I try to play catch up with my prayers too. Only to discover that God has been there waiting all the time!