Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Saint Patrick on Friday in Lent

To send this card: St. Patrick

More St Patrick Day Cards

Music: Be Thou My Vision

Today a friend asked me if it was "okay" to eat meat this Friday on the feast of Saint Patrick. Of course I have to admit I'm the lowest of the low in knowing the rules and regulations for such things but I gave it my best shot. Basically through Googling. Thought I would share my reply to her with you, in case any other fans of Saint Patrick were wondering the same thing!

================
Well, it is one of those unoffical "holy of holy" days. I don't think you will find permission universally granted in any books. I have known a great number of priests who assured us that St. Patrick meant full celebration as a Solemnity (but they did have Irish heritage) so I have to say I really don't know. One priest I know, who was very strict on absolutely everything liturgical actually was incensed when I put out a "purple" vestment on Saint Patrick's Day instead of "green." So it's a very touchy subject. When it comes to "awearin of the Green" and a "celebratin of de purple" the green does seem to win out nine times out of ten. Of course, I have red hair and named Patricia so you have to take that into account as well.

Out of curiosity, I asked the question on google and found that the Bishop of Lansing, Michigan gave the people in his parish the "okay" to eat meat on Friday provided they chose another day of the week not to eat meat.



Basically it is up to the Bishop of each diocese to decide. Another thought.

So much for my two cents worth. I just got reminded that I didn't do the dinner dishes yet! Yikes. Guess I'm off to soap suds and bubbles . . .

Blessings of Peace and all Good!
Sister Patricia and all the Sisters




Follow Me
by Msgr. David E. Rosage
Jesus then said to his disciples: "If a man wishes to come after me, he must deny his very self, take up his cross, and begin to follow in my footsteps."

Mt. 16:24


Jesus did not trick me into following him. He spelled out the conditions very clearly.

He challenges me to respond in love to the boundless love which he has for me-this is the price of discipleship.

My daily dying-to-self makes me more open to receive an even greater influx of his enduring love.

Bantu Proverb: "The burden of love is light like a cloud."

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

We were told it was okay to enjoy St. Patrick's Day foods...I don't think the idea that Sandy from Canada has seems right. Forced?
It makes the Church sound so horrid! Forced to give up meat a few days in the year? Please! It is actually the wisdom of the Church to care for us. It is healthier to not eat meat all the time! If that is "force," then I think it is petty to feel that way. If we cannot give up something together in a nice way for Jesus, well, that is just sad. Just my opinion. God bless.
PS I do love meat, btw., just so people don't think I am a fish lover!